Submit a Story
News
Terms and Conditions
Register
CB Login

AR Search Engine - Search this selected other AR/AP sites Powered by Google

AR Archive Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Story Library
Coodie2 (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Story Library 6 Months ago Karma: 7  
Good morning all,

I appreciate this should probably be posted in the Archive Business sub-section, but I've chosen to instead post it here so that it receives maximum exposure as I believe this is something that is important.

I've been a member of the archive for, in its various forms for over 15 years now, and it is probably the web-site I visit most frequently and regularly.

While I believe the archive is a great place to chat, share ideas and information, and certainly don't want to diminish the community engenders, I believe its most valuable resource is its library.

The archive has a massive collection of stories by incredibly talented authors, some still around, some long gone. What worries me, is that often, valuable stories are slipping through the cracks, getting lost with moves and revamps, or simply being forgotten about.

In times past, I, and I suspect a great deal many others, would download and save stories they liked. However, as ease and efficiency of connection has increased, it's now days often easier to merely access that which we like through a few simple clicks and very few of us take the trouble to save work. The problem with this is, that when work gets lost online, it is often lost for good.

I also feel, that at times, excellent stories are getting lost amongst those that are not worth of mention.

As the archive grows, stories are not only getting lost amongst lesser stories but are simply getting forgotten about because of the sheer volume of new stuff. This certainly in of itself isn't a bad thing, but perhaps we can have the best of both worlds.

I'd like to suggest three goals.

To separate good stories from bad.
To make stories more searchable.
To actually archive stories and ensure stories are not lost.

To this end, there are a few suggestions I'd like to make and would like the input of others.

1. I'd like to suggest setting up a team of committed and long-time members who are interested in achieving the above aims with the goal in mind of doing the work I'm about to suggest.

2. I'd suggest that we create an index of stories, with details including but not limited to: _title_, Author, Date and then create a number of tags, so stories can be filtered when searching for. Perhaps someone wants to search through all stories that contain a specific piece of text, and then filter the results to show only stories that include male are to infancy, or perhaps female ar to preteen. This is not complicated, and there are a number of ways we can approach it, and I have a number of ideas, however this will require time and effort, hence point 1.

3. I'd like to suggest the inclusion of rating system for stories so users can rate a story, perhaps out of 10.

4. I'd like to suggest that ultimately, a separate library be created together with a panel of veteran or long standing members, and when a story is complete, it is vetted by the panel and voted into the library. Only completed stories of merit will be approved. Other stories are still certainly able to be submitted, but could be included in a sperate area.

5. A number of stories still haven't been moved across, notably from the old archive. There is a wealth of stories there that could potentially be lost, which would be to everyones detriment. Again, I'd suggest that due to the nature and time required to do this, that this is a task for the team suggested in point 1. Not only are there stories on the old archive, but there are for example, numerous stories by authors such as Jennifer Lorraine floating around.

6. Lastly, I thought perhaps there could be a way of downloading an archived file of all new strories at the end of each month, or perhaps a digest of each months stories. This would mean stories were saved more frequently and were less likely to be lost.

Heid, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes by suggesting this in an open forum, rather than coming directly to you. I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to open it up as a discussion and see what other ideas or concerns others have. I appreciated there may be issues and limitations with regards to technology which you will be more informed about.

I'd also like to volunteer myself to assist in any way with the above suggested projects, and look forward to others views and opinions.

Regards,

Coodie

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
vended (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Story Library 6 Months ago Karma: 7  
I have all the OldARArchive's stories saved up, minus a few chapters who've been lost, as well as those on various others old AR websites, and I post them here one at a time, so as not to push out of the frontpage the freshly written stories of authors who might want and deserve to be read and given reviews.

If you intend to create a website as a sort of back up of good stories with the features you've mentioned, I would gladly post on it too. :]

Natasha (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Story Library 6 Months ago Karma: 11  
I think this is a great idea and would love to offer my time to help out

I always imagine something being an archive would come across as organised and easy to navigate. Heid has done an amazing job and continues to do so, I would love to see a few members go through the archive and organise things so newer members can find the old stories what made us fall in love with this place. Let's progress as a great community into 2017 .

mac (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Story Library 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
I can offer a server and hosting, if someone wants to manage it

Sebtomato (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Story Library 5 Months, 4 Weeks ago Karma: 242  
Thanks to Coodie for such a thoughtful and detailed post.

There is a need for an archive. One where stories are secure and well organized. I suppose the big question that needs answering is whether this website can be adjusted/fixed or if a new home is needed. Not a new question, I know

Holly's Dream - Parkdale made a deal - They've changed their mind -http://selz.co/NyQ5IwUQz
Stolas (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Story Library 5 Months, 4 Weeks ago Karma: 1  
I like the idea of an archive. but aren't bad and good subjective to a degree? Not to mention, some people will claim a story is bad _base_d solely on it simply not fitting their taste. Not to mention, no one wants to be in the "bad category". Instead of a rating system maybe we can just keep it to reviews? Granted, people can still leave negative reviews, but at least the negatives are actually explained in those. With rating systems that doesn't happen often.

I'd also like a system that specifies, what type of ar isn't included in a story such as physical, mental ,etc. I get that the categories are meant for that, but there is still crossover.

Last Edit: 2016/12/31 03:02 By Stolas.
Go to top Post Reply