News
Terms and Conditions
Register
CB Login

Home arrow Discuss

AR Search Engine - Search this selected other AR/AP sites Powered by Google

AR Archive Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Dice Results for Chapter in Progress (1 viewing) (1) Guests
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Dice Results for Chapter in Progress
Septimus (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Dice Results for Chapter in Progress 2 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1  
Because people might not believe me. For those following my current story, I'm actually randomly rolling the dice as my planned "rolls" come up in the story, and then adjusting the narrative to fit the results. To my shock, here's the result that came up. Thought I would post it...

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2016/08/06 14:43 By Septimus. Reason: Adding pic
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Septimus (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Dice Results for Chapter in Progress 2 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1  

Vended pointed out I could just _link_ from IMGUR... thanks!

This is what I get for writing early morning.

Last Edit: 2016/08/06 15:59 By Septimus.
Piper (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Dice Results for Chapter in Progress 2 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 13  
Now you're in a tricky situation. You've got sexual tension built up between two characters that are teetering on legal age and it won't be long before they are too young to do anything about it (by moral majority).

I'm a little worried that your random rolls will force you to leave this tension unresolved.

But what do I know? Maybe I'll learn something here.

vended (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Dice Results for Chapter in Progress 2 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 9  
A fifteen years old making love with a twenty years old would be fine with most people, imo. I sure agree with you on the sexual tension being there. Septimus may not want to write on it, though. Not that it couldn't be "off screen")

I found the chapter a bit confusing, by the way.

First with the car part : it's unclear at the end of chapter two whether it's the surprise of an incoming collision which made Linda drop the box, or her dropping the box for an unknow reason which made Heather suddenly swerve, and it kept it unclear in chapter three's beginning for the longest time, imo.

I found it unclear again concerning the new dice rule. Each dice independently affecting one woman's age, or each thrown of one or two dice removing years, half the result on one woman, half on the other, or something else. It doesn't help that all throws were double result each time. ^^"

I'm not saying I didn't eventually understand it along the read, but I did found it could have done with some clearer de_script_ion at earlier places.

Just some healthy criticism, though. I found your story very fresh on multiple points. A very good read I'm eagier to continue. : ]

Piper (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Dice Results for Chapter in Progress 2 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 13  
vended wrote:
I found it unclear again concerning the new dice rule. Each dice independently affecting one woman's age, or each thrown of one or two dice removing years, half the result on one woman, half on the other, or something else. It doesn't help that all throws were double result each time. ^^"

A bit of confusion is fine though, while the characters themselves don't know all the rules. I expect, as the characters expect, that each die can be rolled separately now.

I figured the doubles were a coincidence that Septimus tried to post about here (though I couldn't make out the details on the screen capture).

Septimus (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Dice Results for Chapter in Progress 2 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1  
I am certain once I'm done the whole story, I'll be going back to revise several chapters to clear them up. I might even do that now, if I can get some time - I want to keep to my pace of a new chapter a week at minimum, with about two being the target.

It's a conundrum on how to express the results, as I want to write this from a character perspective. Other stories will have a more consistent narrator, but for my first, and to experiment with the sense of discovery, I wanted to stick to Heather's rational mind to highlight her intelligence, and the compromise of that intelligence as she looses age and maturity. Not that she will forget her knowledge (that trope drives me bonkers, personally), but emotional responses change with body chemistry, and your perceived place in the world. I will elaborate on this some other time.

For sexual tension - well, honestly, the last die roll really set me for a loop. I had resolved that I was going to stick to the die rolls to really highlight the actual random nature of dice, but I would allow me to "pick" which die applied to whom to work with the story flow. But when I rolled 6,6 ... well, now I really had to confront Heather becoming much younger much faster than she intended or hoped.

Consider the story a definite experiment in writing! For sure, my next story (already on the drawing board) will be less prone to this kind of disruption. But I will say this story is fun to write!

BTW, I appreciate the criticism, especially if it's constructive.

Go to top Post Reply