News
Terms and Conditions
Register
CB Login

Home arrow Discuss

AR Search Engine - Search this selected other AR/AP sites Powered by Google

AR Archive Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Sebtomato Updates?
Drifter (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Sebtomato Updates? 7 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: -1  
I've noticed that ever since Sebtomato has moved to patreon, he has continued to make "Read it first on patreon" posts on his website, but then not followed up at a later date with public releases like he has done in the past. So many teasers have in fact been posted that it has even pushed content off his front page without any follow-up.

To be clear, this isn't a complaint about patreon. I support that decision if it helps him make an income - commission writing is quite challenging to profit from online. But he had previously been splitting his writing between patreon-exclusive content and public posts, and teased at public releases that never appeared, so it seems like it may have been an oversight.

If you're out there, Sebtomato, this is only meant as a nudge in the event it's just been overlooked. If the longer delay is intentional, then by all means that's your decision. It mostly came to mind because with the archive in limbo, any new content would be especially appreciated. Thanks!

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
vended (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Sebtomato Updates? 7 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 7  
Good catch. I also noticed there's only _link_s to 2017 and 2018 stories since a very long time. The previous ones seem to have been made unavailable, and now can't be found or bought anywhere. Is that on purpose?

Last Edit: 2019/01/01 03:51 By vended.
ARWolf (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Sebtomato Updates? 7 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: -11  
He also removed all his previously-free stories from this site and put most of them behind a paywall. I'll flat out say it: he's a good author, but that's scummy.

Last Edit: 2019/01/01 19:54 By ARWolf.
tejay123 (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Sebtomato Updates? 7 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: -12  
I honestly want to agree with you; my sense of fairness agrees superficially with you. But that's because I'm thinking of this site (and his work that was here) as some sort of free 'right', like a park in my town being taken away.

But it's not that.

He made his self-written, copyrighted works available for free for years here and elsewhere. Everyone had the chance to read them, even save them (for personal use) if you wished (I'm not saying that is honorable, but it was do-able)…

… Until now. They're his stories, he decided to collect them together and sell them now.

I just can't make the leap to seeing this move as scummy. A bit of a pain, yes (I can't give money on Patreon until I get a "real" credit card... it doesn't load up on prepaid mastercards, and it won't _link_ my paypal correctly... things Amazon does very easily), but not scummy.

ARWolf (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Sebtomato Updates? 7 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: -11  
Taking something previously free away, that you'd posted to a public site, I think is very low. I wouldn't care if he just made all his new stuff premium. I wouldn't even care so much if it was all hosted on his own site and had never been posted here. But taking something away that you'd made public on a public site is not cool.

Last Edit: 2019/01/02 23:42 By ARWolf.
Sebtomato (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Sebtomato Updates? 7 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 611  
Yeah, no conspiracy, just a certain level of bureaucratic slack on my part. I've concentrated on keeping my promises to clients who have commissioned work and my Patreon peeps - I'm proud of what I accomplished in 2018 with their support and imagination.

That does mean I've neglected the public website, and yes, it needs fixin'. I will try to get to that

Go to top Post Reply